Thursday 13 September 2012

Glass Jar Speaker

Hi again,

Been busy at work and at home lately (no Phil. housemate any more and I have to do the washing up, take the trash out etc. ;-( ), so a small project, which in theory should not take long might just be the right.

I brought two 8ohm, 3W speakers a while ago. Looks a bit like tweeter to me, but for speech and light music, they should be ok. I am was looking for something to house them. 

The original idea was to use them as the speaker for the FM radio I was building, but thats' taken me longer to get the software right (just can't get it to auto scan, manual tuning is ok). Anyway, I have also order a small 3W Class-D amp. like this one:


Could be power by an USB port. You will be surprise how small it is, well I am anyway. So may be I will put them together and make a pair of small powered speaker. I know you buy them dirt cheap, but whats' the fun in that?

Anyway on with the search for an enclosure. I saw this a while ago on the net:


and thought I might do something similar. So on to the HK$12 shop and I found these candy jar, just right for the job! I one each with different colour cap, so I can identify which is left and which is right channel.  So on with the job. Now I already anticipated that most mechanical task will be cutting holes (thats' why I thought it will be a short project). Now cutting holes on the cap for the speaker is easy, just happen to have the right size hole cutting and there you go:




a bit of hot glue and it is looking nice!

But cutting hole in glass is another matter. I know you can do it, from the above website and there are special bit to do this, but I just never done it before. I started using very small engraving bit from my Dremal tool. Now, my advice is, if I was to do this again, is not to use a Dremal tool. They are far too fast! A normal drill with variable speed is a much better choose and you want to go real slow. Second, wet the place you going to drill before. This  serve two purposes; one it keep the drill/glass cool, so less chance of  it cracking, second, it remove the dust when you drill, glass dust in lung is not good! And the result:



Just one more thing, for those of us who is blessed with the marital blaze, do the drilling when the wife is not around. Glass drilling noise make wife nuts!

Here the finished product, the speaker side anyway.



Ben












No comments:

Post a Comment