Thursday 19 July 2012

Android ICS x86 RC2 on EEEPC701

Hi all,

This is my first blog so bare with me while I get the hang of things.

I have been following the development of Android x86 for a while, since 1.6 and installed 1.6 and lately ICS 4.0.4 on my old battered EEEPC701, with 4G SSD and 2G RAM. I must say I am impressed, even more with release of ICS 4.0.4. Basically, it resurrected my EEEPC, which upto that point being gaining dust in the corner. 1.6 is useable, but ICS definitely make the EEEPC a viable alternative to tablet and even netbook running M$ OS.

As before, my EEEPC was running XP and even with 4G SSD, it barely able to squeeze XP onto it, let alone any usable program like Office. But with ICS x86, not only can it running a host of application from Google Play store (with Arm emulation hack, it even run Angrybird), it whiz alone in pace better than any of my purpose build Android tablet (much better than my Nook Color anyway and from the feel, on par with what Samsung have in offer). Reason could be it is running on 2G RAM, while most tablet has only 512M to 1G. But consider it is only running a single core Celeron at 1GHz or less, which in the PC world is lowest of the low end, it proves what you can do with a properly written OS. Yes, there is a lot of 'fat' in M$ OS, so much so that it seems with every new version, it demands a new generation of Intel processor.

Of course, it isn't perfect. It doesn't run HD, then it doesn't either with XP. You just can't have everything.

Anyway, for anyone who have one of those "netbook" lying around, I encourage you to try this and for those whose have some UNIX/Linux back ground, do the ARM emulation hack, it is worthy.

Where you can find the ISO and other info.:

http://www.android-x86.org/

For the ARM hack, a great tutorial and good site for other info:

http://android-x86.sceners.org/

Enjoy!


Bench

No comments:

Post a Comment